Hello All! Sorry I've been a blog slug this week I'm in full Christmas mode and as Chevy Chase would say, "We're all a little Crazytown banana pants." Which is exactly how I feel, but this is the time when I probably listen to more music to get me in the spirit and keep me there. This week's advent theme is JOY (that's why we have a pink candle on the wreath). It's crunch time! Here are a few tracks that are keeping me in good spirits while I design and wrap and eat chocolate. What song always brings you joy this time of year?
1. I Wish It Was Christmas Today - Julian Casablancas: I completely lost my mind when I saw this video a few years ago. My best friend Liz and I were huge SNL fans in the days of the Jimmy Fallon cast and always got a kick out of the original skit, I'm also a Strokes fan so this filled me with joy to no end!!! Julian released this cover of Jimmy's song on his solo album. Buy it and dance. That is a command.
2. Carol of the Bells - The Bird and The Bee: Everyone knows I can't get enough of Inara George's gorgeous voice and swanky 60s vibe. This is no exception. Dreamy and magical.
3. Star of Wonder - Sufjan Stevens: If none of you have the 42-Christmas song compilation of Sufjan's work get it now. It will put you in immediate nostalgia mode. He slips in a few of his original songs and some archaic gems that the Dust girls used to pull out on Sundays in choir. This song fills me with wonder every time, especially as it builds at the end!
4. Still Still Still - Kaskade: This is a jazzed up trip-hop version of the older song, I actually stumbled on this as it played in the background on a makeup tutorial. It makes me want to put on glitter and heels and go out on the town...in the snow.
5. Skating - Vince Guaraldi Trio: The soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas is by far my favorite Christmas album of all time and is on my top twenty albums of all time as well. Nobody captures the joy, melancholy, innocence, and wonder of childhood like this.