I'm still slightly in denial that this is December already and the first week of Advent. We are supposed to take a moment to breath and reflect and at the same time scramble around like crazy people to buy presents, bake oodles, attend parties, and deck the darn halls! Alas, a paradox. Instead typical holiday fare, I selected songs today that reflect this week's Advent theme: Hope! What song fills you with hope every time you hear it?
1. A New Life - Jim James: I came across this song last year right about the time I was switching jobs and it always made me smile. You gotta love Jim James, I saw My Morning Jacket in concert last year and may I say, James has the hair of ten men.
2. Try Again - Keane: Check out that Under the Iron Sea album art, it's beautiful as is this song. Seriously if you have never heard of Sanna Annukka, check out her site. She is an amazing illustrator and designer! Tom's voice is so sincere on this track. Lay down your arms and I will lay down mine, rip back the time that we've been wasting.
3. Rifle's Spiral - The Shins: This song always gets me fired up. So long before you were born you were always to be a dagger floating straight to their heart. The Shins (aka James Mercer with backup) knocked it out of the park, plus the claymation video is a must see... and there is a rabbit in it, so you really must watch it.
4. Just a Ride - Jem: No matter how bad things get, no matter how your best laid plans come to ruin, just remember, it's just a ride.
5. Up With The Birds - Coldplay: This song makes me want to grow wings, rise above my problems, and never come down.